Thursday, September 16, 2010

Low Impact Arrangements (environmentally speaking, that is)

With environmental issues a reality, the consequences of our actions are a constant concern.  This is why I try to minimize my impact on nature as much as possible when it comes to my floral designs and their execution.

*I purchase plants in biodegradable containers when possible
*I pull any weeds I encounter by their roots (ie, I don't use commercial weed suppressants)
*I encourage the use of perennials when practical (eg, using 'asters' instead of 'mums,' using hardy ivy instead of the more susceptible variegated variety, using icicle pansies - which can survive the winter)
*I reuse biodegradable plastic sheets to protect & keep clean the area where I'm working with the plants
*I take my Vespa (instead of my car) for pick up & deliveries whenever I can

It is easy to find small ways to help protect the environment; every little gesture has a domino effect. As you can see, flower arrangements with a high impact wow factor can simultaneously have a low impact factor on nature.  This way, it's win-win no matter how you look at it.




                       



No comments:

Post a Comment